The importance of the Stocksville name in Ashwood has inspired and motivated us to build the café with a unique identity and design. Stocksville is about giving the Ashwood community some of it’s history back. A name familiar to locals and a connection for Ashwood’s new dwellers to share in it’s past.
History of the Area
Ashwood was named after the suburbs of Burwood and Ashburton, because it appears between the two.
Most of the area once known as Jordanville is now in Ashwood and Chadstone.
The name Jordanville dates from 1930 when it was given to the railway station, newly opened on the line from East Malvern to Glen Waverley.
When Jordanville north was unaffected by the name Ashwood, a neighbourhood shopping centre was built in high street road (and Cleveland Rd corner).
The stocks family arrived in this area at the dawn of recorded history. Edward Stocks ventured out to the colonies, aged 20, in 1851 on a ship named lord Ashburton. en route he celebrated his 21st birthday, and also heard about the gold rush. thus, on arrival he bought a horse and dray and supplied provisions to the gold fields. He wanted to save enough to buy some good undeveloped land to settle on.
The first land sales ever in this area were in 1853. Many people bought the large tracts of virgin land for the equivalent of $3.50 an acre, but most were city speculators. Edward Stocks was arguably the first one who bought here to settle. He bought what is now the Alamein area, and got busy clearing some light scrub to plant his vegetables for the Melbourne markets. He left standing the beautiful eucalypts - they became the Ashburton forest.
Special Thanks to:
Celebrating the Stocks family of Burwood: by Marjo Angelico, Waverley Historical Society
The local post office avoided any conflict between Ashwood and Jordanville by being named Stocksville. ‘Ashwood’ superseded Jordanville in the place name in about 1956.
The design of Stocksville took inspiration from the location in Ashwood and history of the site. The prominent corner tenancy was originally the local post office. The design pays homage to the history of the space with subtle cues including the shop front signage and feature floor artwork reminiscent of a postage stamp.
The Ashburton eucalyptus forest, with its historical significance and emphasis on the suburban fabric was also a great source of inspiration for the design. The finishes palette was derived from the natural tones and textures of the eucalypt.
Natural tones and textures are featured in the timber dowel counter front cladding, polished concrete floor exposing stone aggregate and a fresh white paint finish to the existing raw brickwork. Terrazzo slab features on the counter top in a fresh green tone, with open metal framework and mesh infill panels to shelving over, adding a raw, earthy aesthetic.
A key feature of the space is the lining board cladding, which extends the length of the cafe, wrapping to the ceiling above. This element was designed to create the feeling of sitting beneath a tree canopy, with the occasional vertical board peeling away from the wall to reveal a warm ambient glow of light – representing the peeling bark of a eucalyptus tree.
The design outcome is a space that celebrates the location in Ashwood, it’s history and it’s community.